The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and in 22 US cities, the IRC restores safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure.
The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The IRC Yemen Country program has been established in 2012, and currently is implementing integrated Health, Nutrition, Environmental Health (WASH), Economic Recovery and Development, Women Protection and Empowerment and Education programming in eight governorates. The IRC Yemen Country Program operates with its Country Office in Sana’a and its main Field Office in Aden. Other subfield offices include Abyan, Hodeida and Al Dhale’e, with the Al Dhale’e office covering Lahj, and the Abyan office covering activities in Shabwah.
The EH Manager Position is a senior level management position under the direct supervision of EH Coordinator. This post plays an active role in Environmental Health program activities in Al Dhalee and Lahj. S/he will work in close collaboration with EH Officers in providing strong oversight, technical and managerial support to ensure quality, effectiveness and efficiency in needs and resource assessment/analysis, design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of IRC’s WASH projects in the two governorates.
· In collaboration with members of the WASH team, lead assessments and baseline studies in order to identify WASH-related health risks and priorities.
· Lead technical assessments and prepare detailed designs, bill of quantities and specifications for water supply and sanitation facilities ensuring required technical standard are met.
· Work with WASH team members in ensuring that the various responses are coordinated, and that they form part of a coherent public health response.
· Take account of gender, protection, HIV, the environment, and other relevant cross-cutting concerns in programme design, implementation, and reporting; carry out activities in a way that reflects the needs of specific groups and individuals e.g. elderly people, children, and people with disabilities.
· Undertake regular supportive field visits, supervise the physical and financial implementation progress against the plan, and propose corrective measures as needed to ensure planned activities are implemented in line with relevant standards, codes of conduct, and humanitarian principles.
· Ensure that appropriate community institutions/groups are in place and community capacity is built to take over and sustainable manage implemented facilities.
· Ensure accountability to donors and beneficiaries and share vital information to support program quality.
· Work with supervisor to ensure accurate documentation of EH activities and lessons learned.
· Provide monthly and reliable reports on hygiene promotion activities to the Supervisor.
· Performs other task as requested by the EH coordinator!
· Coordinate WASH intervention with Sub-National Cluster Coordinator and partners.
· Collaborate with Health and Nutrition unit to ensure that the mobile clinics have regular access to safe water and other services.
· Closely follow up with supply chain unit for timely procurement, selection and inspection of EH goods and services.
· Liaise with HR in staff recruitment; and participate in hiring of appropriate EH staff in a timely manner.
· Liaise with Finance Unit in budget preparation and utilization.
· 5 years proven work experience management role in WASH program.
· B.SC of civil engineering, hydrology, or public health engineering degree, master degree is an advantage.
· Experience leading WASH activities for 7 years in lieu of the degree may considered.
Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) experience preferred, confirmed abilities in handling medium and large scale WASH program is a must.
Fluency in English and Arabic.
Al Dhale’e Governorate has been one of the regions of Yemen hardest-hit by the country’s ongoing civil war. The IRC has Field Office in the governorate. Our activities are in Al-Azariq, Al Dhale’e, Qa’atabah, and Al-shu’ab districts. You will have a shared office space, and will have access to a laptop computer and a fairly-stable internet. The town is sizeable, with a good number humanitarian actors with well-established offices!All IRC national staff have to find their own accommodation within the town!
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation
How to Apply