National Staff Position
: Project Manager for Abyan governorate
: Health and Nutrition coordinator, Deputy Health and Nutrition coordinator, Program coordinator, Country Finance Coordinator and Head of mission
Health supervisor, health teams (static and/or mobile) and data entry and/or reporting officer, community health volunteers
: Based in Aden, with frequent travel to field sites
INTERSOS is an independent non-profit humanitarian organization committed to assisting the victims of natural disasters and armed conflicts. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, and respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable and unprotected people.
Since 2015, INTERSOS has been implementing health programs (with integration of nutrition) in Yemen, in partnerships with the MOPHP, supporting partially and non-functional health facilities, by payment of incentives for health workers and community volunteers, providing inputs such as drugs, medical and lab equipment and consumables and cover standard running cost for the facilities. INTERSOS also supports maintenance and rehabilitation/upgrading of health facilities. Next to support for primary health care services, INTERSOS ensures also attention for Secondary Health care to guarantee functioning referral services. Overall INTERSOS works as much as possible and supports the WHO/MOPHP endorsed minimum service package (MSP). INTERSOS also runs mobile clinics teams to improve access to health and nutrition services for IDPs and host communities; mostly covering hard to reach-areas, communities in the 3 level of the catchment area of the health facilities, and IDP concentration areas. In 2021, health and nutrition programs continue for Hajja (7 HFs & 1 MCT), Ibb (11 HFs), Lahj (10 HFs and 1 MCT), Aden (2 MCTs) and Abyan (3 HFs and 2 MCTs). Protection mainstreaming is the backbone of INTERSOS’ programming globally. INTERSOS enhances the capacity of the health staff and CHVs on the integration of protection principles in their day-to-day work, a series of training is rolled out in order to enhance safety, dignity and meaningful access to the services and also ensuring the quick, proper and confidential referral of survivors and persons at risk.
INTERSOS is an active member of the Health and Nutrition cluster at national and hub level, and INTERSOS health officer is co-focal point for the Health cluster in Hadramout hub.
The project manager (PM) of Health and Nutrition projects oversees the activities, administrative-financial, human resource and logistical components of the project, ensuring quality, timeliness, appropriateness and effectiveness. The PM contributes with the health and nutrition coordinator to strategic programming and planning/development for the sector. The PM ensures strong external and internal representation, in line with organisations priorities and per prior consultation with line management. The PM motivates and leads a diverse staff as well as effectively oversee the activities, budgets, and partnerships.
· Ensures the planning, implementation and monitoring/evaluation and sets targets as included in the project description.
· Guarantees an efficient financial management for the project in compliance with INTERSOS’ model and donor regulations.
· Is responsible for team management (staff and volunteers)
· Must deliver quality project activities reporting, including the findings in terms of impact/changes at the level of beneficiaries achieved through the project.
Ensure the full and timely implementation of the project proposal as approved, pro-actively respecting deadlines for reporting:
· Team recruitment, liaise with admin-fin department to secure up to date HR files
· Prepare, organize, and provide training needs upon request, planning, and implementation of relevant training.
· Prepare, organize, and conduct awareness sessions on different public health issues upon request.
· Project kick-off and presentation/sharing of project with teams
· Review and prepare detailed activities plan with team
· Agree and establish clear reporting and communication lines
· Verification on the targeting of beneficiaries
· Ensure sector SOPs and guidelines are properly applied and adhered to
· Permanent on-job coaching of teams to work on quality in delivery
· Ensure security assessment for teams’ daily movement and report incidents/concerns in a pro-active manner to the Head of Mission and Security Focal point
· Supervise and organize with logistics and pharmacists for smooth project supplies; ordering, stocking and distribution and monitoring of consumption and weekly and monthly reporting on consumption.
· Prepare, monitor and implement financial and procurement plan
· Prepare weekly liquidity plan
· Approval of all purchases/contracting and budget line allocations
· Verify on a weekly basis the bookkeeping entries in the INTERSOS accounting spread sheets (PN): verify budget line allocations, budget expenditure status against actual delivery and the financial plan for the remainder project implementation period
· Ensure for all purchases/contracting of goods/services/supplies the correct INTERSOS procurement guidelines are applied and properly documented (also for the procedures applied by the municipalities), in close coordination with the admin-fin and logistics department
· Verify the list of expenditures prior to finalizing the interim and final financial reports
· Holds final responsibility for verification of all support documents’ completeness and correctness
· Manages and evaluates the performance of the project staff
· Conduct weekly and monthly meetings with the team to review the planning and discuss the main concerns to focus on for the upcoming period
· Ensure use of correct/relevant forms for assessments and reporting by the team
· Ensure fluent chain of information/data transfer from field to supervisors
· Ensure timely processing of information/data and conduct coaching for teams on the analysis of the processed data
· Continuous/fast verification of data quality collected and received from field staff
· Establish a participatory process to inform/develop relevant response strategies for conflict mitigation and enhanced social cohesion.
· Undertake (if security situation allows) field visits to provide technical guidance and supervision to the team and to monitor the progress and quality of the different project activities.
· Ensure good practice and system for internal and external referral of most vulnerable cases, in close coordination and collaboration with other INTERSOS programmes/project staff.
· Supervise with health supervisor the movement of mobile clinics cars and/or BLS ambulances/teams to reach services in good and professional manner
· Oversee team attendances and authorize holidays, liaise with admin-fin department to secure up to date HR files
· Ensure teams respect INTERSOS rules and guidelines to the mission and adhere to INTERSOS code of conduct and charter of values
· Ensure monitoring and verification for the targeting of beneficiaries.
· Applying a result-based management approach, monitor the project outcomes, in addition to the outputs and activities, including changes at the household and community level achieved through the project.
· Ensure quality reporting on achievements through daily short briefings, monthly and weekly planning presented against weekly and monthly performance reports containing clear quantitative and qualitative information related to the activities.
· Secure weekly and monthly reporting per team and compile, review and analyses reports on monthly bases to be reflected in INTERSOS PAT reporting tool
· Prepare ad hoc progress reporting for the donor and official required interim and final project reports: Prepare interim and final narrative reports for the donor in a timely and qualitative manner, looking into achievements against outcomes and output and reflect lessons learnt clearly into recommendations for future programming. Reporting must at all times be gender and age disaggregated per OCHA gender and age marker guidelines.
· Holds final responsibility for all support documents (means of verification) and general project documents
· Supervise, study and analysis for collection and compilation of project data in geographic area of responsibility, target trending, data analysis and statical chart preparation and ensure meticulous and timely reporting, with support of data entry officer and/or reporting officer
· Delivers regular communication products (including pictures) on the project to be used by the INTERSOS communication department in different outlets
· Attend the health cluster meetings and ensure timely reporting of highlights to HoM and Health Coordinator
· Conduct regular meetings with the donor representatives and facilitates field visits by donor missions (when security allows for).
· Coordinate with MoPHP and GHO, assure the timely signature of sub-agreement with MoPHP
· Support INTERSOS with the outlining of its Yemen Country strategy, in particular for the development of an integrated strategy towards health and nutrition.
· Contribute to the coordination between the different project-teams for the projects in Yemen. Actively participate in health cluster meetings and other relevant working groups for Yemen, also relevant inter-sectorial coordination meetings at national level.
· Ensure systematic information and update sharing with the HoM and Health Coordinator.
· Coordinate with other INTERSOS projects/sectors for effective and efficient referral of cases between INTERSOS projects/sectors
· Perform any other related duties as required
· Hold an advanced degree in medicine and public health.
· 2 years of professional experience working as in the area of primary health care or a related field is required, .
· Demonstrated familiarity with the health system in Yemen, especially with primary health care and health outreach services.
· Computer and admin/finance skills;
· Demonstrable experience in establishing and maintaining collaborative relationships with donors and government counterparts.
· Strong representation and negotiation skills
· Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills
· Experience with donor compliance and reporting
· Excellent computer skills (proven computer literacy, in particular Excel knowledge is a must).
· Demonstrated experience in staff supervision and remote management
· Strong experience with monitoring tools and systems
· Readiness and ability to move around in Yemen (North, Central and South)
· Readiness to commit and adhere to the values, mission and vision of INTERSOS
· Clinical experience.
· Prior experience working in IDP sites
· Native Arabic - Excellent written and spoken English
· Strong team spirit, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment
· Excellent analytical skills, observation and analysis capacity
· Attention to detail and structured way of approaching tasks
· Ability to plan ahead and output oriented
· Able to ensure quick quality delivery in stressful environment
· Ability to adhere to deadlines and respect line management
· Very strong interpersonal skills: strong communication and diplomatic skills
· Practical and problem-solver
· Ability to deal with heavy work pressure
How to Apply
· Deadline for submission of application:
· Documents to be submitted: CV and Motivation Letter (incomplete applications will be not considered), in addition to contact details for minimum 2 reference persons (include position and relation)
· How to send the application: by e-mail to (applications delivered by hand will be not considered)