Open to Internal and External Candidates
- Position: Medical Assistant (MHU)
- Organizational Unit: Migration Health Unit
- Duty Station: Yemen, Shabwah
- IOM Classification: Daily UG equivalent to M5
- Type of Appointment: Third Party Daily Contracted (TPC) MPH Contract, 3 Months (With a possibility of renewal)
- SVN No.: CFCV2023.081
- Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Closing Date: Monday, 02nd Oct 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Organizational Context and Scope:
Working under the overall supervision of the Programme Coordinator (MH), and under the direct supervision of the National Health Officer the successful candidate based in Aden will be responsible for the carrying out the following duties and responsibilities in relation to the Medical Services in Yemen.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Comply with Health s Standard Operating
2. Work closely with the Medical Assistants in compliance to the Health Medical Assistants’ SOPs; including
medical teams and their daily tasks and attendance and coordinate their shifts and leaves
3. Monitor the delivery of primary health care services. as required.
4. Support the direct supervisor in conducting Fitness to Travel (FTT) for beneficiaries are carried out as required.;
5. Assist the direct supervisor in coordinating with the protection unit for all Voluntary Humanitarian Returns (VHR) as and when required.
6. Support in the referral of patients with moderate to severe medical conditions, including to higher health care facilities.
7. Assist in improving the integrity of beneficiary relations w by proposing key fraud prevention measures and
encourage interaction with the ‘Complaint and Feedback Mechanism’ at health facility level.
8. Support the direct supervisor in the completion of medical forms, DNA packages and other medical documents and ensure they are transmitted to relevant partners, either by electronic means or by courier services.
9. Support the Senior Medical Assistant in the preparation of, and review of, monthly statistics on Health Services.
10. Support the preparation of purchase request forms for procurement of equipment and working materials for Migration Health Unit (MHU) activities.;
11. Suggest improvements to strengthen internal control mechanisms; provide inputs for new procedures to complement and/or adapt existing instructions in an effort to achieve streamlining efficiencies.
12. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University Degree/ Certificate in Medicine or related discipline with progressive experience of at least Five Years (Three Years for Bachelor’s Degree holders);
- Minimum Relevant Progressive Five Years’ Experience (Three years for Bachelor’s Degree holders) in managing health related activities, large dynamic teams, and other related background;
- Demonstrated Knowledge and Understanding medical terminology and background is an added advantage.
- High computer literacy in Windows and MS Office (especially Excel) is mandatory,
- Previous working experience with NGOs or international organizations is an added advantage
- Fluency in English and Arabic is required.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, national of the country with automatic right to live and work in the country, and security clearances.
- Females with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
- As part of the application process, all candidates, regardless of the type or duration of the contract, must disclose any known relative who works for IOM or is engaged with IOM in any capacity.
- Non-compliance with the relative disclosure requirement can constitute a basis for withdrawal of offer of employment, or if the employment has begun, terminating the employment contract and/or disciplinary action.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via the following link
All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
“Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted”.
Posting period: 19 Sept 2023 to 02 Oct 2023