Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position: Technical Assistant
Organizational Unit: Engineering Support Unit (ESU)
Duty Station: Yemen, Aden
IOM Classification: M 4
Type of Appointment: Third Party Contracted (TPC) MPH Daily Contract, 3 Months (With a possibility of renewal).
SVN No.: CFCV2023.092
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date: Sunday, 3rd December 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Organizational Context and Scope:
Working under the overall supervision of the Senior Programme Assistant (ESU OiC) and the direct supervision of the Program Assistant (ESU), the Technical Assistant (Engineering Support Unit) will support the implementation of IOM’s ESU Projects under all IOM units directly in the field.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. In coordination with the Programme
Assistant, support in organizing and monitoring IOM’s ESU projects under all
units at field teams to undertake site assessments, site care and maintenance,
site management, and infrastructure development interventions.
2. Support and coordinate with field teams in undertaking and monitoring assessments and distributions to IDPs, host communities, returnees and other affected communities across the governorate or other governorate as required.
3. Support in organizing and monitoring site assessments at IDP sites, collecting information on overall services available, including, CCCM, TRU, MPA, MHU, SNFIs, Office and other basic needs of the population.
4. Support in monitoring infrastructure development interventions, assessments and activities conducted by IOM implementing partners, service providers and contractors as and when required, and report back on progress and issues.
5. Assist in coordinating adequate
distribution of work and monitor progress of staff on the ground.
6. Ensure assessment and verification forms are completed fully and correctly, supporting the field team to correct errors.
7. Support in organizing monitoring activities, including focus group discussions and monitoring surveys for beneficiaries assisted directly by IOM and through implementing partners.
8. Support the supervision at field the technical projects under all IOM units, and make sure of applying QA/QC standards during the field supervision.
9. Support the Programme Assistant and Senior Program Assistant in building capacity of and training field staff, daily/hourly workers and partner staff on undertaking technical assessments, and all type of infrastructure interventions.
10. Maintain positive relationships with
beneficiaries, area representatives, community leaders and local
authorities to facilitate IOM’s work in target areas.
11. Assist in any additional technical duties as required for the projects including preparation of BoQs, Drawings and other tasks as required.
12. Any other duties as required.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University Degree/Certificate or bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or a related profession.
- Minimum Four Years’ Experience (Two for bachelor’s degree holders) in the humanitarian sector preferable and working in infrastructure development projects with vulnerable individuals as well as managing small- medium sized teams
- Arabic: Fluent.
- English: working proficiency oral and writing.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, national of the country with automatic right to live and work in the country, and security clearances.
- Females with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.As part of the application process, all candidates, regardless of the type or duration of the contract, must disclose any known relative who works for IOM or is engaged with IOM in any capacity.
- Non-compliance with the relative disclosure requirement can constitute a basis for withdrawal of offer of employment, or if the employment has begun, terminating the employment contract and/or disciplinary action.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via the following link.
All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
“Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted”.
Posting period: 19 Nov 2023 to 3 Dec 2023.