Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF), is an International Humanitarian Organization providing medical aid to populations in distress, victims of natural and man-made disasters and victims of armed conflict, regardless of race, religion and political believes. For more information, visit our Arabic website, www.msf-me.org
Médecins Sans Frontières France is looking for Yemeni nationals to recruit in the medical department, in Alsalam hospital, Khamer, Amran governorate for the following position:
SENIOR MEDICAL DOCTOR
Location: Amran Governorate – Khamer
Contract type: Fixed Term Contract (One year – Renewable)
Reporting to: Medical Activity Manager
Al Salam Hospital has a 115 beds capacity including: Surgical IPD, Adult ICU and IPD, Pediatric ICU, ITFC and Neonatal Unit, Isolation, Maternity, Emergency Room and OT.
In the frame of these activities he/she will:
- Carry out outpatient and inpatient consultations, prescribing the necessary treatment respecting MSF protocols. Apply medical knowledge and skills to diagnose and prevention.
- Keep the patient and/or his/her family informed about the illness and provide appropriate explanations about treatments to follow
- Follow up the evolution of the hospitalized/IDP patients, through daily visits, consultations and examinations, prescribing the necessary treatment, following MSF protocols, deciding whether they can be discharged or transferred to other departments – in collaboration with other doctors - and informing their family about the patient’s evolution.
- Check and manage the rational distribution of medicines and equipment under his/her responsibility and take care of the quality, disinfection and sterilization of the medical material.
- Ensure general compliance with standing hygiene standards.
- Participate in the analysis of epidemiological data, checking its validity and informing the line manager or project coordinator about any problem or complication of the patients’ illness, medical error and monitors functioning of the department, equipment or material.
- Ensure ongoing training of the medical/paramedical multidisciplinary team in order to optimize the quality of care.
- Know and ensure all MSF medical protocols are followed and implemented, check universal precautions are followed at all times and reducing bio-hazard risks and improving infection control. Ensure professional confidentiality is respected.
1. Supervision and quality of care:
- In close collaboration with the Medical Activity Manager (MAM), supervise and provide technical supports to the doctors and medical team, including patient rounds, patient files checking on job supervision & decision making.
- Ensure patients are discharged timely.
- Following clinically the patients when needed and depending on the periods of the year (ER when crowded, ITFC during the peak…)
- Update forms organize the clinical sheets.
- Maintain close collaboration with Paediatrician/Antibiotic Stewardship (ATS).
- Lead ward rounds and organize clinical sessions, providing bed-side hands-on training when appropriate
- In charge of Chest tube patients with daily follow-up and gathering the Specialists + collect X-ray.
- Ensure quality of care and compliance with MSF and MOH protocols/standards and medical coordination recommendations
- Evaluate the Doctors’ performance and help Medical Activity Manager to define training priorities/needs, and organize accordingly in collaboration with the medical team, through an annual planning involving all specialist, and SDM himself, with a minimum of 30 hours
- Participate in collaboration with Head Nurse, Deputy Head Nurse, IPC Supervisor and Training Nurses to ensure that all hygiene measures are in place and applied in all departments and that the Doctors are following them.
- Work on communication improvement between Doctors and Nurses and/or Midwives on patient care and documentation
- Replace a doctor and participate in shifts, if necessary, and support mostly and frequently in the ER
- Focal point for High Flow, in charge to organize monthly meeting and report the gaps or issues to the MAM
- Monitor the rational use of drugs and medical equipment, report the shortages.
- Liaises with technical referents where necessary to ensure delivery of patient care.
- Works in close collaboration with Head Nurse and/or Deputy Head Nurse.
- Quality of care (QoC):
- Perform as Quality-of-Care Focal Point in the project and in conjunction with the MAM, Head Nurse and other Supervisors, ensure the development and implementation of clinical quality improvement plans
- Oversee the implementation of the medical incident reporting policy and follow up of all medical incidents
- Collaborate and support the ATS in the rational use of antibiotics and taking his role of focal point when pertinent
- In close collaboration with medical and nursing managers, support the implementation, monitoring and analysis of QoC indicators in the project
- Lead regular clinical review meetings to ensure quality assurance and continuous learning in place and/or (in Hospital set ups) is core member or chairperson of the in-hospital mortality committee
- In close collaboration with the laboratory manager and/or lab supervisor, support the coordination between laboratory and imagery activities and clinical care provision.
2. HR management
- Coordinate and monitor the duty plan of the team under his/her responsibility (rosters, daily workers organization and payment, bilans, tracking leaves, tracking absence during working hours, disciplinary procedures, etc)
- Staff health: Responsible for national staff heath as well as maternity leaves in collaboration with MAM / Project Medical Referent (MedRef).
3. Data collection and reporting
- Ensure all administrative procedures related to patients’ follow-up (individual card filling, registers, paper exit, discharge, transfers...) are correctly carried out according to MSF procedures
- Performing quality reviews and monthly mortality report reviews in collaboration with MAM / MedRef
- Ensure that each doctor is filling data collection sheets and registers according to MSF & MoH protocols and on an accurate manner
- Report to MAM / MedRef the occurrence of cases of diseases that need notification and/or have epidemiological relevance that should be shared with MoH
- Produce on a timely manner the mortality reports and share it with MedRef / MAM and medical coordination
- Organize referrals to other hospitals (and validate, in the absence of the MAM); organize, in collaboration with Head Nurse, referrals for imaging exams not available in the hospital, after validation by MAM
- Report to the MedRef/MAM any problem arising at the hospital.
- Guarantees that MSF AND MOH charter, policies and image are respected within the hospital
- Support that all consultations with patients are in patient cantered a dignified and appropriate manner in keeping with the Quality-of-Care standards and principles set out by MSF
- In close collaboration with MAM/Med Ref, support that systems in place to maintain patient confidentiality throughout the hospital
- Lead and participate in meetings as required.
- Ensure good collaboration with MOH hospital managers by ensuring information sharing including regular meetings.
- Undertake the roles of MAM in absentia.
- Follow up referral cases by phone 24/7.
- Ensures and chairs meetings/committees (Morbimortality Review, Antibio Stewardship meeting, Blood committee, Palliative care Committee, etc.).
- Follow with MAM and Medref the need of specific Medical examination on case by case (CT Scan, Ultrasound, MRI and others) for all cases internally and externally.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- Medical Doctor diploma.
- Registered Doctor qualified from recognized center with up-to-date license to practiceDesirable.
- Specialization in one of: tropical medicine, obstetrics and gynecology, pediatrics, infectious diseases, internal medicine, family medicine, emergency medicine, general surgery or general practitioners. This includes equivalent post-graduate training qualifications from different countries, considered also for general practitioners.
- Specialization in Paediatrics
- Essential minimum 2 years’ experience as a Medical Doctor in medical activities related jobs.
- Desirable working experience in MSF or other NGO’s in developing countries.
- Desirable: Experience in tropical medicine, Obs and gynae, A&E, infectious diseases, TB, general practice, general medicine or minor surgery, ICU management.
- Field experience is the most important requirement for this role and therefore this will stand in lieu of formal academic post-specialization qualifications (which will be considered as strong assets)
- Experience of supervising clinical staff in Hospital/in-patient facilities in humanitarian settings
- Mission language essential (English) with good written and spoken skills
- Local language essential (Arabic)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PPT, Internet)
- People Management
- Teaching skills
- Complies with MSF policies and practice with respect to protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
How to Apply
Deadline for application: 30 November 2023
All interested applicants should apply to the link below (with their Gmail account):
Required documents: Cover Letter, CV, Graduation certificate, Valid Medical License and any recommendations from previous employers. Original documents and relevant work certificates will be asked for the successful applicant.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
“MSF promotes the inclusion of women and people with disabilities.
MSF does not charge fees or accept any money during the entire recruitment process.